WHO adopts global strategy and action plan on ageing and health 2016–2020
WHO adopted the a Global Strategy and Action Plan on Ageing and Health 2016–2020 during the 69th World Health Assembly last week.
Debate on the Strategy was extensive, with over 40 Member States taking the floor, and 10 NGOs, and all speaking strongly in support of the Strategy and the related resolution, which clearly maps the expectations of WHO, its Member States and Partners for moving forward. Information on the strategy consultation process and the document in six languages can be accessed here: http://www.who.int/ageing/consultation/en/.
Overview of Adopted Strategy and Action Plan on Ageing and Health 2016-2020
A world in which everyone can live a long and healthy life
1. Commitment to action on Healthy Ageing in every country
2. Developing age-friendly environments
3. Aligning health systems to the needs of older populations
4. Developing sustainable and equitable systems for providing long-term care (home, communities and institutions)
5. Improving measurement, monitoring and research on Healthy Ageing
1. Five years of evidence-based action to maximize functional ability that reaches every person.
2. By 2020, establish evidence and partnerships necessary to support a Decade of Healthy Ageing from 2020 to 2030.
Read more on the Global Strategy here: http://www.who.int/ageing/global-strategy/en/